Friday, March 23, 2012

Our unexpected road to IVF w/ PGD testing


I'm beginning this journal in the midst of a dark time. I think writing and sharing our experience with others will help me to cope with what has happened and the trials to come. But the main reason I'm starting this blog is to help others! From what I can tell, our situation isn't very common so being a resource for anyone facing this problem in the future makes me happy. My husband and I have a happy and healthy 15 month old daughter named Elle. She's amazing. Up until almost 2 weeks ago, we were pregnant with another baby. I was 23 weeks along when we lost this Angel Baby. It's been truly devastating. Before Elle, I had a miscarriage, but it was in the 1st trimester, very different. I thought I knew sadness then, but this experience goes above and beyond. When I had the miscarriage, I was told by so many people (including doctors) that this would not dictate any other pregnancies. I did lots of research and found that 1 in 4 pregnancies end in miscarriage, and most women have healthy babies after one. Well, that was true with me as well. I got pregnant with Elle only a few weeks after we lost our first baby. I was PETRIFIED for about a third of the pregnancy. This time, I was so preoccupied with taking care of Elle, who was only 10 months old when I got pregnant, that I didn't worry as much. My husband is in the military and got deployed for 3 months so I was caring for her alone most of this pregnancy. I was so sick in the first trimester, just like with Elle, which is a great sign. When my husband came back, I was already more than halfway through the pregnancy. Things were great! I felt good and expected things would be fine. We went for our big 20 week ultrasound a little late (over 21 weeks) and things went quickly downhill from there. To make a very long and sad story short, the baby was not well. There were a number of issues and the baby passed away less than 2 weeks later. 

I know I will grieve this baby for a long time. I will watch Elle growing up and wonder how things would be different if this baby were healthy. Elle was supposed to have a sibling just 19 months younger than her. It's not my job to map out my life, although it's easy to be tricked into believing it is when things are going well. But once again, I am reminded that God is in charge here, not me. His plan might not make sense to me now, but I do trust that He has a plan and it is the right one. 

After lots of testing, we now know that the baby had a chromosomal abnormality, and specifically a translocation between chromosomes 9 and 19. These terms were foreign to me a few weeks ago, but now they are at the forefront of my mind. This is something that a few members of Ian's extended family have as well. Now we know that he is also a carrier. There is nothing wrong with Ian, but if this is passed onto a baby, it is not possible the baby will survive. In order to prevent this from happening again, we are going to move forward with IVF with PGD testing. IVF is used for infertility. This isn't necessarily our problem since I am able to get pregnant easily. But now that we know we are likely to face this again, IVF with PGD testing will allow us to test embryos before they are implanted for pregnancy. The baby will be made from our sperm and egg but any abnormal embryos will not be used. This provides lots of relief for us, although the thought of being pregnant again still scares me. 

Okay, now that we have our backstory out of the way, hopefully no other posts will be this long! I'm excited to document this journey with others and hopefully be successful in our quest for more kids. I've been scouring the Internet for IVF and IVF w/ PGD success stories and I've found a few couples that have been blessed with healthy triplets! A few weeks ago I would not have ever thought I'd be up for having multiples but now I would consider it a major blessing. Ian and I have a shared dream of a big family and though it will be more involved and difficult to get there, I really hope we can. Until then...KEEPING THE FAITH:)

4 comments:

  1. AN Amazing Testimony On A Spell Caster Who help me to get pregnant, So me and my partner have been trying for a baby for the last 5 years now and we have had no luck. I don't have a regular cycle so it is hard for me to tell when I'm ovulating or not, but we always have sex at least 2 times a week, sometimes more. I know it can take up to a year to conceive but everyone i know who have had a baby have conceived within 2-3months of trying and it is really getting to me. my partner had a fertility test about a year ago and his sperm were fine. I'm thinking it could be a problem with me but I've never had any symptoms of any problems. My partner does smoke and have the occasional Priest ink, and i used to smoke and also have the occasional Priest ink. i know i'm slightly overweight but that shouldn't affect our chances too much,one faithful day my friend told me to contact a spell caster that help her aunty, then i contact the man on this email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com , after three months the doctor confirm that i am pregnant thank you Priest Babaka for helping me get a baby, I am thankful for all he has done. contact him via email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com if you are trying to get a baby or want your lover back. he has powers to do it, he has done mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt like ending it i lost my husband to another woman 2 weeks ago after 27 years of marriage. We had a lovely marriage but he started a relationship with a co worker who chased after him. He is living away near his work, and he refuses to talk to me or to come home . I am devastated and am finding it hard to cope i was emotionally down . I wish I did not love him and that I could move on but I can't . I don't know how to stop feeling like this I wish I could and its eating me away and I'm starting to feel ill. I have degraded myself begging him to come home all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr Ogudugu can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and I also came across several testimonies about this particular man so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. 24 hours later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Ogudugu . If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. if you have any problem contact him, I give you 100% guarantee that he will help you, This is his details, E-mail: GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM. Thank you all for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I'm From Memphis Tennessee, USA I feel so joyful today because of the
    help Dr Sunny has rendered to me for getting my Husband back with his
    spell. I have been married for 4 years and it has been so terrible because
    my husband was cheating on me and was seeking for a divorce. But when i
    came across Dr Sunny Email, on the internet posted by a lady, i decided to
    get in touch with him and i explained my situation to him and then seek his
    help but to my greatest surprise he told me that he will help me with my
    case for there is no problem without a solution. Here i am celebrating
    because my Husband is back home and am really enjoying my marriage, what a
    great celebration. i will keep on testifying on the internet because Dr
    Sunny is truly a real spell caster. Why not contact Dr Sunny now if you are
    facing any challenges in your relationship life. Email {
    solutioncentre911@gmail.com } you can call Dr or whats app him via
    {+2349056393169} His Also specialize in
    1) love Spell
    2) Pregnancy Spell
    3) Divorce Spell
    4) Marriage Spell
    5) Healing Spell
    6) Penis enlargement
    7) Money Spell
    8.) You want to be promoted in your office
    9) you want to satisfy your lover
    contact this great man if you have any problem for a lasting solution
    Through his email via { solutioncentre911@gmail.com } .

    ReplyDelete